Although fishing is fun but still it is complicated as well. However, the fishing bait makes this task more difficult.
Fishing becomes almost impossible without using the right bait even if you use expensive fishing rods and gears. And using natural bait also became quite a hassle. So many people are inclined to use artificial bait.
Artificial bait is an effective way of fishing. You do not have to worry about the bait, and there is no fear of instant damaging it.
Today I will tell you the details of some of the best artificial fishing bait types in the market and how to fish with an artificial bait in the proper way. Read my article to know more.
Artificial Fishing Bait Types
1. Shrimp Bait
These baits look like shrimp but are very scary for the fish. These are much more effective for catching large fish.
These are made of sturdy plastic, which lasts a long time and does not break easily. It has hooks on the inside and sinks underwater.
As they are quite heavy, they sink as soon as they are thrown into the water and go deeper. Big fish are much more attracted to these.
Once swallowed, it will get stuck. When buying these, look at the size and color.
2. Plugs Bait
These are usually made of plastic and have thick metal sheets on the face side. Its hooks are at the bottom and very sharp.
They are usually made in the shape of small fish. Once a fish swallowed this, it will immediately get stuck with the hook and almost impossible to get out of the hook.
They are a bit heavy, so they stay in one place. They slow down the fake bait movement.
Sometimes they have to be moved manually by moving the fishing rod. These are very effective for catching big fish.
3. Fly Bait
These baits have hooks on the belly and are feathered around them to make it look like a giant grasshopper. These are designed to look like they are floating in the water. But some of them drown after some time.
Because they stay above the water, some fish come to eat. Once swallowed, its hook gets stuck, which is impossible to open for them. Good results can be obtained by using this technique.
There are many types of models available that you can buy as you need.
4. Soft Plastic Bait
The soft plastic baits are useful for fishing. These are usually made to resemble small insects, such as lizard, worm, Cockroach, Shrimp, and many more.
The primary purpose of this type of fake fishing bait is to attract the insect lover fish.
Their use is beneficial, if you throw the bait in the water, they become soft, and fish will shallow it. You can catch from small fish to big fish through this bait.
But these do not last long. If you leave this for a long time, it gets ruined. And most of the time, these are damaged by the bite of fish.
5. Jigs Bait
This type of artificial fishing lures has a massive iron on the head side, which causes a lot of weight, and the hook is along the middle of the bait.
The bait structure is made with soft plastic, and it is very soft; that’s why most of the big fish come to eat it as food. This bait is very popular because of easiness to use and much more effective.
Just throw the artificial fishing bait in the water and wait for a while. After a while, roll up the yarn a little, the fish will think it is alive and then swallow it. It is the primary method.
6. Power Bait
These baits are perfect for those who are just started fishing. It attracts fish in a different system and are a more straightforward method.
They look like plastic and have a natural flavour, which makes them smell like fish.
Its use is completely hassled free. Put a piece on the hook and throw it in the water. Due to its smell, fish will come and swallow easily.
They are very popular with newcomers because they do not require any technique to use. So these can be used to catch big fish with less effort.
How Do You Use Artificial Bait for Fishing? Top of Form
The technique for using artificial baits for fishing will depend on the fishing area and bait types. Artificial baits have many types and they work differently. However, below there are some general tips for using artificial bait effectively:
- Select the right bait: Choose an artificial bait that matche with the fishing type you are targeted to fish. For instance, if you are casting for bass, you may have to choose a crankbait or a soft plastic bait that imitates a small fish.
- Rig the bait correctly: Ensure that the bait is equipped properly on the hook, as this can affect the bait’s movement. So, if you are using a soft plastic artificial bait, you may have to use a jig head to the hook.
- Vary the retrieval speed: Experiment with different retrieval speeds to determine what works better for the target fishes. Some fish species may prefer a fast, erratic retrieve, on the other hand most fishes like to move in a slow, steady retrieve speed.
- Pay attention to the water conditions: The water conditions can affect the working style of artificial bait. In clear water, a more natural-looking bait will be more effective, while in murky water, a brightly colored artificial bait may be more visible to attract the fish.
- Be patient and observant: Angling with artificial bait must need patience and observation. Pay attention to how the bait moves through the water and always be ready to set the hook when you feel a fish bite.
Nevertheless, the key to using artificial baits properly is to understand the behaviour of the target fish types. Besides, choose and use the correct bait in the proper way to attract and catch them.
Which Type of Baits are Mostly Used for Fishing?
The choice of bait for fishing depends on various factors, including targeted fishing types, fish locations, and the timing of year. However, some of the most commonly used baits for fishing are below:
- Worms: Worms are a versatile and broadly used bait for individually freshwater and saltwater angling. They are effective in catching variety of fishes.
- Minnows: Minnows are small fish that are usually people used as live bait in freshwater fishing. They are particularly operative in catching game fish such as bass and trout.
- Crickets: Crickets are additional type of live bait that can be operative in catching fish. Mostly they are used for catching bluegill and crappie.
- Artificial lures: Artificial lures or baits such as spinners, jigs, and soft plastics are also used for fishing. These lures are designed to reproduce the movement and appearance of live bait. They look a like real baits but its not. Nowadays, many anglers use artificial baits as their first priority.
- Powerbait: Powerbait is a type of dough-like bait, it is designed to attract fish through scent and color. It is mostly used in freshwater angling, particularly for trout and salmon.
In the end, the choice of bait will depend on the favourites of the angler and the conditions of the fishing area and timing. But both artificial and living lures work fine if the angler took it in a accurate way.
Do Artificial Baits Work? Is Artificial Bait Better Than Live Bait?
Yes, artificial baits are super effective in catching fish in different fishing locations. They are designed to move like natural baits and many fish will attack at artificial baits just as live bait.
In fact, some anglers prefer using artificial baits over real live bait for some reasons. First, artificial baits are convenient to store and easily transportable compared to live bait. They don’t require the angler to constantly check it is spoiled or not and don’t have to change it. Live baits are quickly become less effective if it expires or loses its scent.
Artificial baits can be more multipurpose than live bait. They come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors depends on fishing area. It allowing the angler to match the bait to the precise species of fish they are pointing and the conditions of the fishing spot.
Overall, live baits can be effective in certain situations, but artificial baits are useful and reliably effective for many anglers.
If you are a professional fisherman or want to start fishing as a new, you can choose one of these baits.
All of these artificial fishing bait types are quite popular, so you can catch excellent fish without having too hard with them.
But before using artificial lures, make sure you buy the bait according to what kind of fish you want to catch. And make sure the bait looks natural and not too shiny. Fish do not like shiny bait too much.